Yes, this is a New York Giants Blog, but it is not every day that your co-tenant is out there looking for a new coach. And it is certainly not every day that Spags gets this much attention nationally. There has been a great deal of news on Brett Favre, not the least of which is that he has a torn biceps tendon that has likely been hurting his throws near season’s end.
Separately, linked is a piece on the Mangini firing that I could not have said any better. Favre still has a shot with the Jets in 2009 considering the injury story, and how that was probably mismanaged too.
Wonder’s head coach list for the Jets, in order of preference:
1) Bill Cowher. Cowher coaches a 3-4, which is the Jets’ defense. And if there is one guy who knows that defense and can save Gholston, it is him. Cowher and the Jets are reportedly going to meet.
2) Steve Spagnuolo. We all know the story here. And the Jets have asked to interview Spags during the bye week.
3) Jim Schwartz. Defensive Coordinator for the Titans. Non-media town for 8 yrs as DC.
4) Steve Mariucci. Would bring the West Coast offense to the Jets, some of which is already there. Would only make sense if Favre is not severely injured (which was confirmed with the mild tear in the tendon) AND if they could groom Brett Ratliff. Wonder is HUGE on Ratliff, fyi, the next long term Jet QB, and a good one.
5) Josh McDaniels. Offensive Coordinator of Patriots. A political hot potato, given Mangini and Belichick and Parcells all coming from NE, so it is doubtful, but would work if they didn’t concern themselves about that issue.
addendum: this was done Monday afternoon with links afterwards, Wonder likes Shanahan on this list also.